Mill Valley fire spreads half an acre

TUHSD+administrators+advised+community+members+to+avoid+Camino+Alto+Rd.+after+a+fire+started+on+Monday%2C+Sept.+27.+

Jasmin Desruisseau

TUHSD administrators advised community members to avoid Camino Alto Rd. after a fire started on Monday, Sept. 27.

At 2:12 p.m. Tuesday, Sep. 27, a brush fire sparked near Camino Alto Rd. between Mill Valley and Corte Madera. Approximately 20 minutes later, the Southern Marin Fire District and the Mill Valley Fire Department recommended a shelter-in-place order for nearby residents. Fire departments from Central Marin, Southern Marin, and Marin County rushed to the scene.  

Due to the fire, first responders closed off a portion of Corte Madera Ave., west of Tamalpais Dr. to avoid potential injuries. At 2:30 p.m., the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) sent out an email advising students to avoid the Camino Alto area, but specified that AWHS students were not in immediate danger.

There is no evacuation order and all school activities will continue as scheduled at this time. All students and staff are safe,” said Tara Taupier in an email to the TUHSD community.

By 2:45 p.m, The Central Marin Police Department reported that the fire had been extinguished. 

“All fire equipment has cleared the area and the roadway has opened,” said Mill Valley Police. 

By 3:00 p.m, the Central Marin Police Department lifted the shelter-in-place order. However, Camino Alto Rd. and a portion of Corte Madera Ave. faced continued closures due to cleaning measures.

By 5:17, the fire was fully contained, as well as several resulting fires.

“Fire personnel have finished their work on the Camino Alto vegetation fire,” the Mill Valley Police Department said in a statement to the public.

The cause of the fire is still unknown and is currently under investigation.