Jury declares Mock Trial a success

Courtesy of Steve Bluestone

(left to right, back to front) Pierre Beaurang, Hugo Leinbach, Riley Evans, Finn McKitterick, Xenia McLean, Douglas Jackson, Audry Daniel, Izzy Brisco-Schofield, Sasha Yovino, Ariana Brisco-Schofield, Jack Long, Ceci Hellman, Ethan Fredenburg, Santiago Powell. Not pictured: Bella Lee, Refael Nathan-Israel, Clara Nuuja, Bri Woods

The sun has set on Drake’s 2019-20 Mock Trial season. The team finished Feb. 1 with one win and three losses. Even with a losing season, freshman Bri Woods, freshman Jack Long, sophomore Finn McKitterek, and the team’s captain senior Pierre Beaurang won ‘best in role’ awards, proving the Drake team held their own against the competition.

Mock Trial is an academic sport that exists in most high schools across the country. The program focuses on teaching students law through the process of competing in a court case. Students try out for roles, such as witnesses, attorneys, bailiff, or clerk, and participate in the trial as if it were a real case.

The Drake Mock Trial team began in September and practiced twice a week until their competitions in January and February. Usually, teams schedule scrimmages against other schools in the area to prepare themselves for competitions, but Drake only scheduled one, against El Cerrito. 

Senior and team captain Pierre Beaurang believes this was a major contributing factor to the team’s final record. 

One of our biggest issues was a lack of scrimmages… we had one. Terra Linda had 12. That’s one thing we’re looking to improve for next year, since having experience in the courtroom is very important to a team’s success,” said Beaurang.

Beaurang also stated that one of the main issues limiting the team’s success was recruitment. 

“Tam, the best team in the county, where [Mock Trial] is a bigger deal, reportedly often gets upwards of 70 people trying out. We’re usually struggling to get the 16 we need. Moving forward, we hope to put Mock Trial more in the public eye,” said Beaurang.

According to Beaurang, the team is almost entirely underclassmen. He believes the younger teammates will carry the team towards a bright future. 

“I learned so much about law and what it means to be in the middle of a court case. My time in Mock Trial was a great experience for me.” said Xenia McLean, a freshman new to Mock Trial.

The 2020-2021 Mock Trial season begins next September, and Beaurang believes he is leaving the team in good hands. After a rocky season, next year the team will renew their quest for victory.