Stellar volleyball squad seeks success

The Schroeder sisters getting ready for home game.

PHOTO COURTESY OF ROD MILES

Colin Brown, Sports Editor

The girls volleyball program is off to a strong start, with many returning players to rely on like seniors Justine Greenlee, Jenna Grigsby, Reilly Schroeder, Remy Pelzmen, and Malia Coyle.

“We have a lot of young talent, I am very excited to see how the returning players from last year gel with the underclassmen,” captain Justine Greenlee said.

The squad also contains three sets of sisters, Bea and Ella Heimbrodt, Georgia and Reilly Schroeder, and Nikki and Erin Lee.

“I really love this year’s team. I am very excited to see the way we will grow and get better throughout the season. We have a lot of young studs that have really gelled well,” captain Bea Heimbrodt said.

Freshman stars Georgia Schroeder, Ella Heimbrodt, Nikki Lee, and Josie Griffiths highlights the team’s youth.

The girls had a successful season last year, going 18-13 and made a deep run into the postseason with an exit in the quarterfinals of the NCS playoffs. They hope to extend that postseason run with returning head coach Breana Thomas, who is very excited for this year’s team.

“This is a special group of girls. They all get along so well on and off the court. This team has a lot good going for them and I am very excited to see how we end our season,” Thomas said.