Cell phone caddies positive class addiction

Andrea Giacomini, Reporter

The implementation of the new cell phone “caddy” has left many students in uproar. No one wants to give up their phone during class. However, if a student has that big of an issue with putting their phone down for an hour, that’s a clear sign that they should.

The use of cell phones has gone too far. It affects our relationships and social skills, our attention span and our grades.

I’ve been experiencing the phone “caddies” since freshman year. I was encouraged and forced to relinquish my phone for class in ROCK. I’m less attached to my device and don’t “need” it in the same manner that I observe in most of my peers.

The Huffington Post, on April 13 2017, cited research that showed that, in a simulated classroom, students who did not use their phones during class had a 62 percent increase in the depth of their notes and understanding of the lecture. Those same students scored one and a half times higher on the multiple choice tests.

A greater chance of improving grades and your chances of getting into college, by not using your phone. There’s some incentive for you.

Some student’s phones are an escape from boredom and others’ are their social connection. Not having access to their device instills a sense of fear, the fear of missing out.

Phones also give us access to “the world” on the internet, which means we can: Snapchat, text, use social media, play games, take pictures, listen to music and find any possible means of distraction we might desire. And we do desire it.

“It has clearly improved the classroom and it minimized distractions because if their phones were buzzing in their pockets they’d look.” Social studies teacher Paul Grifo said.

Cell phones affect the depth of our communication in general. We’ve all seen the lunch table filled with kids that are all staring or playing on their phones. It’s not a pretty sight.

“When a phone is even visible it affects the depth of conversation. We should want to get to know one another and have deep conversations. I want my students to go deeper, farther than just the surface of things.” English teacher Mary Kitchens said.

According to the April 13, 2017 Huffington Post, our phones impact our social skills, an essential talent. How strange that something intended to connect us more, actually pulls our attention away from the present moment and makes us both more introverted and isolated as a result.  

Being “zoned in” has serious repercussions on our friendships, romantic relationships and self-esteem. Because we are so in tune with “life on the web” we begin to have false expectations of our lives.

Using social media actually makes us unhappy and feel as if we are lesser than our peers because all we are seeing, instead of interacting, is a facade of one’s life, which only shows the exciting aspects.

As for the phone caddies, rejoice at the opportunity to return to yourself for a little while, take a breath and take a break from this toxic tool.