AWHS varsity football’s historic winning streak comes to a halt

Hayden Rhodes

Senior wideout Max Henzl (#17) celebrates his second touchdown of the game with teammate Will Roberts (#12). Henzl’s 58-yard catch and run was the focal point for the Falcons offense in a 48-20 losing effort.

The AWHS varsity football team has turned many heads after their historic 4-0 start. The Falcons dominated their non-league schedule, outscoring their opponents 144-2. With the student body raving about their football team’s recent success, head coach Anthony Jackson and his boys rolled up to San Marin High School to kick off their first league game. The highly anticipated matchup showcased two undefeated squads and took place underneath San Marin High School’s Friday night lights. 

Unfortunately for the Falcon faithful, the Mustang’s high-powered offense, led by 5’11” 190 pound senior running back Justin Guin, was too much for the AWHS defense to handle. The San Marin running back had rushed for 654 yards and 12 touchdowns through the Mustang’s first four games and helped propel the Mustangs to an early 28-0 lead in Friday’s contest. However, the Falcon offense would finally respond with a score of their own in the late first quarter when senior quarterback Zach Atkinson found junior running back Nate Karpay-Brody over the middle for a 62-yard touchdown. AWHS went into halftime down 41-6. 

“We came out flat,” said Coach Jackson after Friday night’s loss. “We had too many costly turnovers and multiple blown coverages, if we clean up those little things this game is a lot closer.” 

While the Falcons fell short 48-20, there were still plenty of positive outlooks on Friday night’s game: one being that they outscored the Mustangs in the second half, 14-6. Senior wideout Max Henzl hauled in two touchdowns and displayed his track star speed on a 58-yard catch and run to bring the Falcons within 4 scores. 

“He is the fastest kid in Marin, we want to get him the ball as much as we can,” Jackson said.  

Not only did Henzl shine on offense, but he showed up on the defensive side of the ball recovering a fumble for the Falcons. 

“We all have to do our job on offense and defense, I was just doing my job,” Max said. 

With the exception of the slow start, AWHS played an entertaining and competitive game against the reputable San Marin squad. 

“In the second half, we came out and played our brand of football, when we do that we can hang with anybody,” Jackson said. 

The team looks to build off that second-half momentum as they face Redwood High School in their second league game at home Saturday, Oct. 10.