HS 1327 Varsity Bleach Boys kick off the season amidst COVID-19 restrictions

The boys settle in for a classroom practice on Thursday, Apr. 22, the day before their first game.

Emily Cardwell

The trees are blossoming and the birds are chirping, not the typical environment for the traditionally winter soccer season. Regardless, tryouts concluded this weekend for the High School 1327 (HS 1327) Boys Varsity Soccer team, and they are ready to play their best this season despite the challenging circumstances.

Following the week of spring break many students played for the first time in over a year with their potential team members, engaging in scrimmages and drills for the duration of tryouts.

Rene Ayala leads the team as the boys catch up with one another on Thursday, Apr. 22.

“Tryouts were organized, competitive and well attended. We were fortunate to have plenty of student athletes try out, as we are aware that many sports have struggled to field teams this year. Like always, our kids worked extremely hard and took tryouts seriously.” Rene Ayala, the boys’ coach, said.  

While the week-long tryouts were successful, the team now must navigate a significantly altered season. Their first of eleven games will be on Friday, Apr. 23 at San Marin High School. The season will consist of eight league games and three recreational games. The season was essentially cut in half due to the elimination of playoffs. While in prior years the boys would play each league team twice, they will now only play them once.

“The biggest difference is the length of our season, this year we will only have eleven games and won’t be playing NCS,” Miles Crock, HS 1327 senior, said.

Despite the downsides of a season cut short, the Varsity Soccer team is determined to establish team bonds by continuing team dinners and traditions. Notably, the team will arrive at their first game with freshly dyed hair, sporting a monochromatic look like many years before. 

“The bleach has come to represent integrity, cohesion, empathy and self-respect. Our varsity players are not required to bleach their hair, but if they do, they will do it willingly,” Coach Ayala said.

The team’s values are deeply rooted in brotherhood, initiating and sustaining meaningful life-long relationships while perpetuating empathy and respect. This merit remains their top priority amongst training and building upon their skills. The season will be short, but the team’s spirit remains high.

“If we win a few games, it will be icing on the cake,” Ayala said.

With ambitious goals and astute optimism, the Bleach Boys are ready to take on the unique soccer season.