TUHSD moves to structured school schedule in response to COVID-19 closures

As of this morning, Apr. 2,  the Tam Union High School District has a new schedule in place for teachers and students across the district. The schedules set specific and unified times across the district for both classes and office hours. 

This new schedule will be going into effect once students and faculty come back from spring break on Apr 13. 

The timing includes no specific class time on Mondays, opening up time for independent work and individual conferencing. Mondays will also allow time for teachers to collaborate and develop plans for the upcoming week. 

For the rest of the week, Tuesday through Friday, periods will be blocked out in 45-minute intervals. Classes will start with zero period at 8:30 on Tuesday/Thursday and second period at 9:30 on Wednesday/Friday. Classes will end at 1:30 at the latest, with an eighth or ninth period. However, Drake adheres to a seven-period schedule, meaning school will end at 1:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but 12:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays. 

Teacher office hours will be open from 1:30 to 3 PM for students who may have questions or need to check in with teachers. The schedule also includes a break between 11:15 and 11:45 Tuesday through Friday, and 15 minute breaks between classes. 

At least once a week, teachers will be required to hold online meetings to check in with their classes. These meetings must be scheduled during one of the two times the class is scheduled to meet per week. These discussions may be via video chat systems, such as Zoom, or online discussion boards such as Google Classroom.