New leader takes helm

Gabriel Reuter, Reporter

At the helm of student government next year will be Junior Noel Rockwell, who was elected 2018-19 ASB President in the recent March elections. This year’s elections were said to be one with the most candidates and most competitive in a long time, according to the ASB advisor Diane Peterson.

Rockwell was the only female candidate for the presidential position this year.

“I wasn’t worried about being the only girl, I didn’t think about it much. I ran because I believe I can make this school better, not to make a point.” she said.

Her commitment showed throughout her campaign, regardless of how busy she is without the stress of an election. With Daniel Forrest and Gabe Reuter as close competitors, Rockwell eagerly anticipated the results.

“I was stressed out. I knew that my two opponents were solid candidates.” she said.

Looking forward to next year, Rockwell is very eager to get to work. She hopes to improve on our traditional events such as rallies, dances, and lunchtime activities while creating new ones as well. However, she also has some bigger goals for her time as president.

“I hope to create a collaborative and integrated environment where leadership groups on campus work together, and everyone has their voice heard.” she said.

Vice Presidents Chris Carlucci and Roxy Silva will lead an eager group of ASB returners backing Rockwell, who are already underway planning next year’s agenda.

As a student who has a job at Comforts Cafe, is a captain of the Track team, an editor of the school newspaper, and now the ASB president, Rockwell will have a full plate next year.

“It’s going to be a lot for sure.” said Rockwell, who will rely on her organization, prioritization, and time-management skills to help her with the load.

To further prepare herself for the challenge, Rockwell has secured an opportunity for herself in a summer program sponsored by the prestigious Telluride Association, to be held at the University of Michigan.

The program, called TASP, is an academic experience centered around learning for the sake of making a difference and taking initiative to do so. The program brings in students from around the world to thrive in collaboration and prepare themselves for their walk of life, according to their website.

To ensure that anyone can apply, and that each applicant has equal opportunity, the Telluride Association covers all costs of participation, which even includes money that one might lose by not working a summer job because attending the program.

Students who attend the six week long program are chosen through a rigorous application process, and often later attend top universities around. With this experience behind her, she will be ready to take on the role she has earned as President.