Spring sports shoot for May playoff success

Otis Lyons, Sports Editor

Following a winter sports season with thrilling basketball, soccer, and wrestling performances, the sun has reappeared, and with it, spring season reemerges. Whether you’re in the pool, out on the track, or on the mound, there’s something for everyone.

Among the highlights include the baseball team’s attempts to repeat as NCS champions following last year’s memorable playoff run. There are high hopes for these boys, and with any luck they will be able to bring home another one.

Likewise, softball looks to build on the successes of last year, and the coed mountain bike team will chase a fourth consecutive and eighth total state championship. Fans  have a lot to look forward to, and these teams are sure to make the school proud.

BASEBALL

The baseball team will return much of its core group following last year’s 19 inning, two day thriller that earned them the MCAL pennant.

The squad, who beat undefeated Miramonte in the section championship, will rely on the returning experience of last season’s pitcher of the year Ryan McLaughlin, catcher Case Delst, and shortstop Gabe Leary.

Other returning starters include Isaac Friedenberg, Eamonn Lance, Ian Casey, and Eric Woodrow.

“We have a lot of youth this year,” said Lance, a junior starter. “With 10 seniors leaving, it will be interesting to see how we can compete, and that will start with a difficult preseason.”

The team is projected to be in close competition with Marin Catholic and Redwood at the top of the MCAL table. An NCS run, with a jump from Division 3 to Division 2, looks promising. Most likely, if the team makes another deep run, it will be because of a strong offensive presence.

“We have to send out a memo to other sports when we are going to be hitting, because we hit so many dingers,” Lance said. “That is very promising this year.”

SOFTBALL

Nine players will return to the softball ranks after a successful year last season. The team that shocked third seeded Pinole Valley en route to an NCS semifinal run will be led by juniors Alyssa Freed, Hailee Eastus and Maycee Mosley, who were all part of the postseason push last season.

“This year, we have a young team but we are hoping to grow as the season goes on and win some games,” Eastus said.

The return to the regional stage may not be as smooth as they’d hope, due to a coaching change. Previous coach Erin Lawley received an Oxnard Community College job, and will be replaced with Andrew Koblick. However, with only five seniors graduating, the nucleus of the squad will return.

“Andrew is a strong coach, and he will push us to be the best possible players we can be and continue to work on our weaknesses,” Eastus said. The softball team opened MCAL play with a March 12 visit to Novato. The game was poised at 2-2 in the 2nd inning before it got rained out.

BOYS VOLLEYBALL

The boys volleyball team looks to continue where they left off last year. This year’s squad hopes to do some real damage. These boys have a lot to look forward to with many of the returning seniors and juniors on this team.

They have eight returning players from last year and three cornerstone seniors such as Eric Stoner, Ryan Anderson, and Kean Edwards.

Returning juniors Darius Sadaatnezhadi, Burke Fraser, and Max Muncy all look to continue their success. These boys have a lot of potential on their hands this year.

GIRLS LACROSSE

The girls lacrosse team had some struggles last year. But on the bright side they only lost two senior girls and have a very strong returning class. Stud returners include juniors Georgia Scott, Allie Korst, and sophomore Tatum Bugas, look to do some damage this year.

These girls have a very strong senior class as well with a lot of strong leadership. Maggie Gubbins and Sophie Heimerdinger being the two senior captains look to lead this team to success.

With an unfortunate season last year these girls are motivated to turn it around and do some damage.